Ross Chastain will pilot the No. 6 Roush Fenway Racing Ford this weekend in the Pennzoil 400 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway as Ryan Newman recuperates following his last-lap wreck in the Daytona 500.
Chastain, 27, has 72 starts in the NASCAR Cup Series. The Alva, Florida native scored three wins en route to finishing second in the Gander Outdoors Truck Series last season. He currently drives the No. 10 Kaulig Racing Chevrolet in the NASCAR Xfinity Series. He has posted two Xfinity Series wins—including Las Vegas in 2018 and Daytona last year with Kaulig.
In four Cup starts at Las Vegas, Chastain’s best result was 20th in the fall 2018 race for Jay Robinson. His sole top-10 in Cup competition came in last year’s Daytona 500. Chastain had a solid run going in Monday’s race prior to being collected in two multi-car accidents in the final 20 laps.
“First and foremost, our focus remains with Ryan and his family as he continues to recover,” said Roush Fenway president Steve Newmark. “We also want to express our sincere gratitude to all of those who have offered support and taken the time to send their thoughts and prayers to Ryan, his family and everyone at Roush Fenway Racing.
“The NASCAR community has long prided itself on being a close-knit family. That is never more evident than during these types of moments, and we want to express our appreciation to everyone at Chip Ganassi Racing as well as Kaulig Racing for allowing Ross to fill in for Ryan in the No. 6 on such short notice.”
Newman, 42, was released from Halifax Medical Center on Monday. He has 657-consecutive Cup starts with 18 wins, 51 poles, 115 top fives and 262 top 10s. The team said there was no timetable for Newman's return.
Chastain tweeted: "No one could ever take the place of Ryan Newman on the track, and I can’t wait to have him back. As we continue to pray for a full and speedy recovery, I’ll do my best to make him and everyone at Roush Fenway Racing proud. #Rocketman"